Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Cross of Christ Pt. 5 - What Christ has Done for Me Pt. 1

Ephesians 2:1-3, "And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience--- among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind."

God gave me this word picture a couple weeks ago and I will try my best to explain it.

Each and every person is born bound to the chains of sin. Since all have sinned, we have no way of escaping the death sentence of eternity in hell forever. We are dead in the trespasses of our sin and our ultimate desire is to carry out the lusts of the flesh.

The word picture began with myself bound in chains from head to toe. I had no way of escaping this prison. I was in the deepest, uttermost part of the dungeon awaiting my death sentence. I had done some terrible things. Lied to my parents and teachers, slandered my siblings, cared for the passions of the flesh more than anything else, loved the delights of impure desires, dwelt in the depths of fear, desired the puffed up ME, and dealt with other horrific passions; all characterized my life. I did not desire God. I did not want to please Him at all. Who cares about God? I was all alone, not even caring what laid ahead of me. Lonely without hope.

I tried to wriggle out of these chains a billion times, but they held me like a death grip. How will I ever be free? I thought. Then, I saw a little glimmer of light. Wow, that gave me hope. I started thinking of a way to get out of my hopeless situation. I did not know how to do it. The glimmer of light grew bigger. Then, I thought it is impossible for me to do it on my own. I need help. Right then, the door opened. End Part 1

I will finish Part 2 tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, interesting post, Joshua. Thanks for posting!

J.J.

Anonymous said...

Good post! I'll be reading part 2.

Bethany said...

Great post. I am always encouraged by your posts. Looking forward to part 2!
Your sister in Christ,
~Bethany~

Ryan Wegner said...

Great post! I had many of the same struggles (caring more for fleshly passions than Christ, desiring impure things, and wanting the things of this world), and I too tried to get out in my own power innumerable times; but I never could. It's a good thing God is so merciful and patient with us!
I'm looking forward to Part 2!

Ryan

'becca said...

Joshua,

Very nice post! You are right. I can't get out of these chains alone, but with the saving grace of Jesus, I can. Great word picture, I am glad you posted it. I am looking forward to reading part two.

God bless, dear brother,

'becca