Saturday, July 20, 2013

Uganda: Flight from Dubai to Entebbe

Richard is an easy going guy, who is very attentive to all people.  The very first night in Dubai wasn't a night that we talked a lot, but I was thankful to be his roommate.  Why?  He prayed aloud for us that night.  He wasn't specifically praying about the trip, but for us to bond together as roommates and eventually lifelong friends.  I remember that and it touched me in a way that I will never forget it.  He is a stud that's for sure.  Anyway as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out like a light bulb, but the problem was I only got a few hours of sleep since we got up at 5 am the next morning because we needed to have enough time in order to catch our flight to Entebbe, Uganda.  So, we headed back to the awe momentous Dubai airport, which is an amazing man made masterpiece in itself.  And, as we were making our way to the gate, I was talking with Debbie M. and I told her that I was willing to give my life for the Gospel if necessary.  If it came to that point, I would die for the sake of the Gospel.  That is how much Jesus means to me.  I don't really care how it happens or what happens.  All I know is that I will be absent from this body and present with the Lord, which is my biggest dream ever.  My biggest dream ever will ultimately become my reality and I can't wait to see my Jesus.  One of my favorite songs is written by Jeremy Camp and it is called "There Will Be A Day".  And some of these lyrics have hit me hard like a ton of bricks.  Read them and let them saturate your soul..... "I try to hold on to this world with everything I have.  But I feel the weight of what it brings and the hurt that it tries to grab.  The many trials that seem to never end, His Word declares this truth, that we will enter in this rest with wonders anew.  But I hold onto this hope and the promise that He brings.  There will be a place with no more suffering.  There will be a day with no more tears, no more pain, and no more fears.  There will be a day when the burdens of this place will be no more, we'll see Jesus face to face.  But until that day, we'll hold onto you always."  These lyrics speak for themselves.  We are not of this world and we are waiting anxiously and patiently for our King to take us Home to be with Him.  And, if it was going to happen to me on the trip, there is no other beautiful way I would rather go than to lay down my life for my king on a missions trip.  How appropriate!!!  But, that did not happen and I am still here.  I still have unfinished business in service to my King to attend to.  It is no greater honor.  

Anyway sorry for the rambling tangent.  Where was I?  Oh yeah, we are in the Dubai airport about to hop on the plane to Entebbe.  So, we hopped on the plane.  I was still thinking about virtually dying for Christ and reading this book Witness the Passion all at the same time.  If you have never read that book, it goes into the horrors of Christ on the Cross from the eyewitness viewpoints of many people who were there to experience it from a distance or from afar.  Pretty good book.  Anyway, I was sitting on the plane next to Janice, my airplane buddy and it happened to be her birthday as well, for the entire four and half hour plane flight.  And before we knew it, we landed in Entebbe, Uganda at around 1 pm Ugandan time ready to serve the Lord, which is about 10 hours ahead PT.  Once we stepped out of the plane, it felt like Palm Springs, CA in the summer only with much more added humidity.  It was hot, but thankfully we made it through customs with no problems and picked up our luggage from the baggage claim.  And then, we headed toward the bus, the same 'ole bus that would be our one and only transportation source for the next two weeks--- a bus that at least did have air conditioning.  Well, not very good air conditioning, but good enough to carry us through until the end of the trip......             

No comments: